Monday, September 10, 2007

Hannibal's House of Hummingbirds







I have been attracting hummingbirds to my house with feeders filled with sugar water for the entire summer. It seemed that at the beginning of the season, I might have had 1 or 2. Now, as we are nearing the end of the season, I have had up to 8 individuals. These guys and a few females have been zipping past me for a month now, getting ready for their migration. I suspect a few have already left, because the nights are getting quite chilly, and the buzzing and chattering I hear throughout the day has grown infrequent. I really have enjoyed this particular season the most, because the activity at its peak was quite chaotic for these amazing little guys, trying to protect a certain feeder from other intruders.
I set up these shots with a tripod not more than 5 feet away focusing on the feeder or a certain branch in a tree. My lawnchair, drink, and smokes make it comfortable enough to stay and wait for hours. With patience and slow movements, I was able to get quite a few shots that I like. I did handfeed them this year, but setting up the camera shot was a bust, though I did attempt it. I needed an assistant for that shot, but none were available. Maybe next year...

Tomorrow....Coyote!

No comments: