Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Pelicans, Powerplants, Dickcissels, and Purdies!

I miss the excitement of discovery... I haven't depressed the shutter in weeks... I've visited many a ripening mulberry tree with no visitors, toured the nearby lakes for a chance siting, drove thru the prairies and forests in hopes of a fawn, something... NOTHING! Yesterday, was a xerox copy of the days previous. I parked next to the mulberry tree & sat there for 30 minutes or so... NOTHING! I then went to my local lake, where I might see a Tern... ummm....No. COME ON MOTHER NATURE! Well, I did see some late migrating American White Pelicans. ( They are usually gone by now, but a few are still here.) The water is a cooling lake for a nuclear plant, as seen in the background of the photo.



After the pelicans, I headed in the direction of home. On my way, I spotted what I thought was a Meadowlark on a branch singing. I turned the car around and slowed to a stop for a few shots, and it turned out to be my first Dickcissel ever...(I was cursing the camera, because it wouldn't focus quickly enuff, thus... the not crisp photo!)




When I got home, thirsting for more, I shot a few of the blooms around my yard...


Daylilies...





Some sort of daisies with a purple center...



Anywho...I did get a little lucky, and yeah, just alittle desperate, but at least I have SOMETHING to blog about...

If I have nothing further to post by Friday, Happy Independence Day everyone! Be Safe!

3 comments:

Shelley said...

I know how you feel when you want to take a photo and nothing seems to come your way - but alas - it looks like you had a GREAT day! Enjoyed them all - your flowers pictures should be framed.

Don and Sher said...

It has been the same with Sher and I but we always take the cameras and hope. Lately as you can see on our blog we believe we can find something of interest somewhere.

Todd Dixon said...

Congrats on the life bird!