Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Caspian Terns



The Terns were here at Braidwood Lake in big numbers on monday. I didn't officially count them, because I don't officially count anything or keep track of bird counts...







But...if I had to guess, I would say around 40, give or take...








I love hearing the sound that they make...It's quite raw and obnoxious...Once heard, you will never forget the sound, and smile at it's familiarity the next season, when they first arrive...







The juvies wait for their parents to bring back fish, while they wait on shore...







WHAT YOU CAN DO TO HELP ALL BIRDS: Never leave fishing lines, lures, or hooks on beaches and shorelines; entanglement kills numerous terns each year.

Don't dump garbage or fishing bait which feeds predatory gulls.

2 comments:

jalynn01 said...

I don't count either,but true blue birders do! They love to tell you the numbers. I liked these Terns, and would like to hear them too! I'm going to google them!!

Shelley said...

Your tern photos were beautiful! I saw my 1st one this year - and you're right about never forgetting their sound! I can tell in your photos that they were all doing a lot of squawking with their beaks wide open.