Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Another Weird Baby

There seems to be a theme running with my blog posts lately--Tiny baby creatures of the weird variety, not typical of your every day spring arrivals such as birds, deer, fox, etc. Nope, I haven't seen any of those just listed this year as of yet...and I usually do...I've been scouting my favorite spots, but haven't seen a fawn, a kit, nothing!
This year has proven to be strange weather-wise also. Unseasonable cold spells, frequent storms of a severe magnitude, temperatures ranging from 40 degrees at night to 90 degrees at noon in the same day-simply put--just downright bizarre!
Anyway, to make my point, this year is not typical in any fashion. The creatures are weird, the weather is weird-is there a connection? Don't be silly, that's ridiculous...Get on with the weird baby already, will ya!--O.K:

My newest "baby" to add to my weird collection is a Longnose Gar.



I went kayaking (photos to come later) with some friends and stopped at some large rocks for lunch. Noticing the minnows in the water, I spotted a minnow that just wasn't the same as all the other minnows. It was about 2 inches long, and upon closer inspection, it turned out to be a gar. Cool! I grabbed the macro and flopped on my belly for a closeup. Interesting! We all watched it swim in the shallows and looked for more. There wasn't any. Was this guy the lone survivor? Did all of it's siblings become lunch in the fish foodchain? Who knows, and what might his fate be? Chances are probably not too favorable. That's nature...weird!

2 comments:

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

Wow! That's very different. I've never seen one before. Great spotting and a cool picture. I love your commentary.

garman said...

I caught that same gar just yesterday! It's 46" and 14lbs now. My how they grow up.

I love the MAZON!

ReGARds,

garman

www.garfishing.com