Friday, July 6, 2007

Albino Redtail Hawk





Who doesn't love unusual creatures? I have been lucky enough to find a few albino animals, and this Albino Redtail Hawk is nearby. I will say that it is in the Channahon/Minooka area, but that's all I am saying. He, (or she) likes a certain area that is secluded, so traffic is at a minimum for disturbance. And... when you do see him, what a sight it is! He is amazing to look at. He has an ever so slight reddish spot like a yamica on his head, and a tint of red on a few of his tail feathers, but other than that, he is pure white. Most hawks do not let you get close enough, but I have encountered this one many times, and the flight factor isn't always the case. I have drove under him as he was on a utility pole, have stopped within 15 feet to snap off a few, and watched as he hunted a field without flying off to another location. On one occasion, he dive-bombed a couple of deer. If you look close at the third and fourth (behind the hawk) pictures, a Bluejay is picking on him. That Bluejay harrassed him until he screeched in frustration and flew off. Just another amazing day in nature.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really so enjoy your photos, they are probably the best photos I have ever seen anywhere. If I were to have to choose a web page I would have to choose yours siimply because it is the best anywhere. And I don't just say that because it's true. IT REALLY IS!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey.. its a sweet site!! love it! i really want like the albino red tailed hawk. i really like albino animals.. if u see wat i mean!! lol.

Jane Pettit said...

Hi, Thanks for your pics. Looks like I have the same bird that likes a utility pole in the middle of our meadow in MD. What state are you in? I saw crows bugging our hawk until he squawked and flew off. We have a stream loaded with fish that are probably the attraction here. Jane

Anonymous said...

I have had the pleasure of seeing this amazing bird, however have not see it for the last two years.
mc