Thursday, August 28, 2008

Backyard Hummers

I've been concerned all summer about not seeing any Ruby-throated Hummingbirds in my yard...



It took all summer, but I finally have the Hummers!!!!



As a matter of fact, I have 4 that visit.




Yesterday, I spent the afternoon sitting under the feeder from about 6 feet away to get these shots.




My next venture is to get them acclimated to me, so that I can hold the feeder as they feed.



It's my favorite time of migration, when the hummers compete for food in my yard.



They protect the feeders from other hummers.



Here is a shot where a male hummer is chasing off another, and I happen to catch this one flying at me, and chattering at the enemy hummer...

5 comments:

jalynn01 said...

You got some really great shots! Beautiful. Must be the day for hummers, I posted them so did Abe Lincoln. They are coming to the feeders more and more getting ready for their migration I suspect. I hate to see them go!

Shelley said...

Fantastic action hummer shots! They'll become your friends in no time!

The Birdlady said...

Wonderful! They just make me happy!

Ecobirder said...

Great hummer shots. I am jealous, I have not taken any good hummer pics this year.

Todd Dixon said...

Really nice photos! Hummers can be quite challenging to photograph.