Friday, June 7, 2013

Newborn Fawn

Years and years of wildlife photography, 1000's of miles on the odometer, and hours upon hours I can never get back (or want to), searching for creatures big and small is how I spend my free time. A wishlist in my head of encounters yet to be discovered is born, dreaming of once-in-a-lifetime moments like this one I had this morning. Magical is all I can say...

I have only seen in pictures, a fawn barely a few hours old, hiding from predators as mom is away, a survival instinct never taught, but bred into their wild genes.

Note: Newborn fawns have almost no body odor and their reddish brown coat with white spots make young fawns almost invisible to predators. Fawns lie motionless on the ground surrounded by low vegetation. The fawn’s natural instinct is to freeze even when approached by another animal. As fawns grow and mature, they will initially freeze, but they jump up and bound away.
Please don't try to "rescue" an abandoned fawn. They are not without their mother. She must leave her baby to feed herself, as the fawn is not yet strong enough to go with her. The mother always returns!
 






 

16 comments:

Rick Kratzke said...

I truly love those pics, nice job.

Montanagirl said...

Could he be ANY sweeter?? How cute. Don't know if anyone else has mentioned this, and forgive me for doing so, but your text in the post is so tiny, I have a hard time reading it. Getting old I guess. LOL

Wendy said...

Oh my goodness, simply breathtaking! I think I would burst into tears if I'd ever be lucky enough to see this (I may also have a huge weakness for fawns, ha).
Incredible photos!

Chris said...

Cute little thing! Wonderful encounter and pictures...

Shawna said...

I have to say, your pictures you took that day are truly amazing. I can see why this may be a once-in-a-lifetime event to come across. There is so much beauty in nature and in looking through you images and experiences, you have encountered. They all are amazing and unique, but this specific one with the fawn is precious. I never realized that they would lie so still as a means of protection while the mother is away. I am glad that you share this bit of information because I think there are probably many out there who also did not realize this. Keep up the great photography and I hope you have many, many more wonderful and once-in-a-lifetime moments.

Joe said...

These are fanastic shots!

online dramas said...

so nice blogger

Miosotis said...

I love these photos
You have a great blog, congratulations

Our photos said...

Beautiful photos!
Greetings, RW & SK

Byahero said...

Nice shots!

Penny-Rose said...

oh isn't the fawn the sweetest thing? I just love that she blends in with the leaves and the dappled sunlight. Beautiful photos.

svetlozar said...

Nice photos

waldlaeufer68 said...

absolutely perfect picture series .. beautiful to look at and super sharp photos .. great compliment
regards Frank

KR S said...

Thank you so much for sharing these - the lighting is absolutely amazing and the moments spent with the fawn must have been breathtaking!
-K

karen said...

Breathtakingly beautiful. Awesome to realize the hidden beauty of God and all of creation. Thank you for capturing and sharing all of this. Will share it with my animal loving grandaughter. Found your site by asking a random wildlife question.

Kerri Farley said...

Absolutely Adorable!