Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Up Close & Personal with 4 Short-eared Owls

I got another hot tip! Short-eared Owls that day roost in an agricultural ditch and are highly tolerant of cars stopping. So I get my directions and journey 130 miles to the location. Finding the owls along the tall grasses with their amazing camouflaged feathers was pretty frustrating at first, but once you spot the first one, you know exactly how to find more. Yep, there they were, just sitting & waiting for me to show up. The morning was extremely windy and these little fellas knew exactly how to pick excellent cover to break the blow. There were plenty of grassy "caves" to hide out in. Thanks guys! You made my day!






3 comments:

denapple said...

Oh WOW! These are exactly the kind of shots I've been dreaming of all winter. I'm jealous!

Chris said...

Oh wow fantastic sight and gorgeous shots! I happened to see one on one of my patch for the first time ever and I could get pictures too. You don't really realize they are quite small ;-)

Montanagirl said...

Beautiful shots of these Owls. I managed some really nice photos of these guys a couple different times. And you're right: they're tolerant of stopped vehicles. Apparently, they feel no threat.