Friday, May 4, 2012

Barred Owlet


Barred Owlet, originally uploaded by Hannibals Animals.

Sometimes a not-so-productive day of wildlife/birding turns around so quickly, just as you are about to call it a day, and today was one of those days. I was leaving my spot after about an hour of boring tree time. I just stared up at the tops of trees, looking for some movement, and nothing was happening. I decided to leave the area when all of a sudden I hear an interesting sound close by. I can't describe the "squawk", but I knew it was a larger throat making that sound. I knew I could not leave until I found the source and scanned the trees & ground.
After a bit of zeroing in on the direction, I see a glimpse of a large wing. I knew immediately that it was the local Barred Owl, and it struck me that just maybe it was with it's owlet. I've never seen a wild barred owlet before so this was gonna be good! I finally spotted them both and the parent flew off. Low and behold, I finally get my barred owlet! And here it is! What a day this turned out to be! You just never know... IMG_7820 IMG_7572 IMG_7611 IMG_7534

6 comments:

Chris said...

Youp patience is the best, and you msot of the time get rewarded. I had to wait for an hour laying down on a bank of a lake yesterday to get shots of horned grebes, but they finally came to the spot i was ;-) Beautiful shots!

Melissa Weisbard said...

Great photos!

I had a similar experience a couple of years ago in Arizona. The sunsets in Arizona are usually pretty amazing, especially if there are clouds in the sky. I was in Tucson and I drove up into the mountains hoping to get some great sunset photos. I watched the sunset and there were lots of great orange hues, but I was hoping for something a little more stunning. I waited for a while to no avail. I started the drive back to my mother-in-law's house and as I got to the bottom of the mountain, they sky lit up in hues of pink and orange and red. It was stunning. I wish I would have waited just a little while longer and I would have gotten some better photos with the mountains in the photo as well. Here are some of the photos I took:

http://melissawphotos.blogspot.com/2009/03/tucson-sunset.html

Patience isn't one of my strong points. I'm going to have to work on it.

Tere - juegos gratis said...

The green bird!!! beautiful

Cynthia M. said...

Great find, and amazing photos! Barred owls are definitely a favorite. :)

Avtoprokat said...

I am so glad i found your site. Fantastic photos - thank you!!

abigail said...

lunettes de soleil Adidas
lunettes de soleil Armani
lunettes de soleil Burberry
lunettes de soleil Carrera
lunettes de soleil chanel
lunettes de soleil Dior
lunettes de soleil Dolce Gabbana
lunettes de soleil ED Hardy
lunettes de soleil Fendi
lunettes de soleil Gucci
lunettes de soleil Louis Vuitton
lunettes de soleil Okey
lunettes de soleil Police
lunettes de soleil Prada
lunettes de soleil Ray Ban
lunettes de soleil Versace