Monday, April 9, 2012

Pileated Woodpecker - Female


I finally got my close encounter with a resident Pileated Woodpecker in my neck of the woods. I was watching Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers work some trees when this gal silently flew in to inspect this tree. Lucky for me I saw her sneak into a cavity, so then I waited for her to come out and here is the shot!

The Pileated Woodpecker is one of the biggest, most striking forest birds on the continent. It’s nearly the size of a crow, black with bold white stripes down the neck and a flaming-red crest. Look (and listen) for Pileated Woodpeckers whacking at dead trees and fallen logs in search of their main prey, carpenter ants, leaving unique rectangular holes in the wood. The nest holes these birds make offer crucial shelter to many species including swifts, owls, ducks, bats, and pine martens.

6 comments:

Willard said...

Congratulations on capturing this bird. I have a fair amount of good video of them, but no stills. I see them occasionally, but they are usually too far and they are shy.

Montanagirl said...

LOVE THIS! So glad you experienced a "Gotcha!" Beautiful bird! Have never seen one of these.

Lisa Sc said...

Fellow blogger, I'm visiting your blog page today, could you return me the favor please by visiting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xSAvszqepg
Thank you very much!

PS that's a pretty bird!

PasiĆ³n por las aves said...

Great capture Hannibal.

Chris said...

Congrats, it was not only a closer encounter but a successful one with a superb picture!!! Well done...

Aunt "B's" Backyard said...

So glad you got the shot, Hannibal!! They are a strikingly beautiful bird!! I love watching them fly!