Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Very Lucky Buck


Very Lucky Buck, originally uploaded by Hannibals Animals.

I was driving on a busy highway to my favorite area to look for bucks. I see ahead of me, a buck in the ditch running along a fence line, trying to get in. Luckily, no traffic was approaching him, so I slowed to a crawl and followed. He made his way down a few hundred yards, turned around and ran back the other direction. Still, no traffic. He turned around again a few hundred yards behind me, so I pulled into a driveway, watched for traffic and waited. I was ready to jump out of the car and flag people to slow down if I needed to but I didn't. He came closer, saw my car obstructing his path, then decided to cross the road to safety. Very Lucky Buck! What an impressive rack with 15 tines and one extremely exhausted fellow.
IMG_3501

IMG_3512

IMG_3563

10 comments:

Montanagirl said...

Oh my he is "Impressive". Very beautiful deer with a great rack of antlers! Wonderful photos of him and so glad he got across safely.

Chris said...

What an incredible experience you lived! Wow very impressive buck and story. You got splendid shots during this experience ;-) I love your header ;-)

biobabbler said...

Wow, poor guy! This is why I'm semi-obsessed with road ecology. It's SUCH a huge deal for wildlife and many people don't give it a second thought. Glad he made it and that you basically helped. =)

Brad Myers said...

Great encounter and what an awesome buck, beautiful rack and a swollen neck. He sure is in rut.

Anonymous said...

These I have to think our one of you favorites but than again I am biased.

Whitetail Woods Blog / Deer Hunting and Blackpowder Shooting at it’s best.

Dominic Gendron said...

What a nice buck! the first imaghe is very nice! It's also impressive how they can go under fences!!!

Coy Hill said...

What a buck! and what great action shots!!

Willard said...

What an encounter. We just don't have bucks like that around here.

Zoopedia said...

Crazy.. Beautiful.... Wow...

Bethany said...

I love animals