Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Bobwhite Calling

A friend of mine told me about a very photogenic Bobwhite, who has been making regular visits to a certain signpost at my favorite spot: Goose Lake Prairie State Park every morning. Today, I escaped from work for an hour or so and tried my luck. I couldn't believe what I saw. He was there all right. I heard him before I saw him, so I slowed the car and found that he was running next to my car. That can shock anyone. Anyway, I stopped, he stopped, let out a whistle, and looked at me. He scrambled off a few feet, stopped, let out a whistle, and went on his way. I drove on, turned around, and creeped up again. He found his favorite signpost, flew up on it, and started his morning ritual. I pulled up next to him, took a few shots, went up aways to turn around for a drivers side angle, and shot from across the road. I couldn't believe he stayed. I shot some video, shot a few more stills, and pushed my luck up a notch. I thought I might try some super-detailed shots with this tolerant quail, so I pulled up to about 5 feet away, turned off the car, and shot my heart out. He was incredible. He continued to whistle the entire time.

Of course, you can click on any photo to see the details!



The purple stain around his mouth is from mulberries. It was obvious, as his roosting tree I found him in after his morning session was next to a mulberry tree.










Thanks Bob! I REALLY enjoyed my time with you!

Video to come...

7 comments:

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

WOW !!! These are amazing pictures.How much did you have to pay him for these poses?LOL
BLessings,Ruth

Dominic Gendron said...

What an interesting bird! Great images to ;)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful bird, it looks like he was a bit talkative.

Brad Myers said...

I enjoyed the story and the photos even more. Incidents like these are few and far between but after so many hours spent in the field and all the hard work when they come along it is deserved. Would you give him my address now so I may take advantage of his beauty.

Glad to see a new post, but I know our summers are way to busy.

Philip said...

That is a beautiful Bird and fantastic shots of him too well done!

Coy Hill said...

Fabulous! What an incredible photoshoot and you did an excellent job capturing it!

Willard said...

That is an encounter to die for, Peggy and you documented it perfectly. Exceptional shots.

When I started carrying a camera in 1974 there were a lot of them here and they could often be found sitting on fenceposts, but it seemed that something happened to them soon thereafter and they vanished from our area. When I was a youth their song was frequently hear, but now I have not heard it for years. The same is true of the whippoorwill. It is sad when these species vanish.